The city of Castle Rock is situated primarily upon the donation land claim of Eliza and William Huntington. The Huntingtons settled in the area in 1852. On December 12, 1888, the city of Castle Rock was platted, and later incorporated in 1890.
The city is named after a large volcanic rock formation along the Cowlitz River which resembles an old castle. “The Rock,” which rises 200 feet above the surrounding area, was used as a geographical landmark for early travelers along the Cowlitz River. Now, the city has preserved “The Rock.” Visitors and locals can hike to the top of the 200-foot formation, thanks to a trail that winds its way to the top. Historical markers are located at the base of “The Rock” at the intersection of Huntington Avenue South and Front Avenue.